(1) U.S. Census Bureau www.census.gov
(2) US Food and Drug Administration: www.fda.gov
(3) USDA’s National Organic Program: www.ams.usda.gov/nop/Consumers/Consumerhome.html
(4) USDA’s Economic Research Service, “Adoption of Genetically Engineered Crops in the U.S.,” July2, 2008. www.ers.usda.gov/
(5)“Fast Food, Central Nervous System Insulin Resistance and Obesity,” E. Isganaitis and R. Lustig; Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2005;25:2451. http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/atvbaha;25/12/2451
(6) Personal communication with Dr. Robert Lustig, July 2008.
(7) Union of Concerned Scientists, Food and Environment report:”Genetically Engineered Crops Use More Pesticide” www.ucsusa.org
(8) Sustaining Life: How Human Health Depends on Biodiversity,” Center for Healthand the Global Environment, Harvard Medical School. http://chge.med.harvard.edu/programs/bio/index.html
(9) Center for Science in the Public Interest: www.cspinet.org; Nutrition Action Healthletter, “Chemical Cuisine: A guide to food additives;” May 2008.
(10) “Tainted Sugar,” Center for Food Safety Fact Sheet, June 2008. www.centerforfoodsafety.org.
(11) Personal communication with Tom Schwartz, Beet Sugar Foundation, July 22, 2008.