1. "Voices of Federal Food Safety Scientists and Inspectors," Union of Concerned Scientists. September, 2010. www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/abuses_of_science/food-safety.html
2. "Driving the Fox from the Henhouse: Improving Oversight and Food Safety at the FDA and USDA." Sept. 2010. www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/scientific_integrity/driving-fox-from-henhouse-food-safety-report.pdf
3. "As Egg Producers Consolidate, Problems of Just One Company Can Be Far-reaching," Washington Post, August 24, 2010.
4. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration Inspectional Observations, August 30, 2010. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Safety/Recalls/MajorProductRecalls/UCM224392.pdf
5. Animal Factory: The Looming Threat of Industrial Pig, Dairy, and Poultry Farms to Humans and the Environment, David Kirby, March 2010.
6. President Obama's Whitehouse Weekly Address, March 14, 2009.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Weekly-Address-President-Barack-Obama-Announces-Key-FDA-Appointments-and-Tougher-F/ ; and,
"Obama Targets Food Safety. President Announces New Leaders, Group to Upgrade Laws," Washington Post, March 2009. www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/14/AR2009031401600.html?hpid=topnews
7. "Glut of Recalls Threaten to Desensitize Consumers," Rupal Parekh. Advertising Age, August 30, 2010. http://adage.com/print?article_id=145621
8. Center for Foodborne Illness Research & Prevention: www.foodborneillness.org/.
9. CAFO: The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories. Dan Imhoff, Watershed Media. October 2010. http://www.amazon.com/CAFO-Tragedy-Industrial-Animal-Factories/dp/1601090587
10. "Health-Related Costs from Foodborne Illness in the United States," Robert Scharff. March 3, 2010. http://www.producesafetyproject.org/admin/assets/files/Health-Related-Foodborne-Illness-Costs-Report.pdf-1.pdf
11. "Diet, Escherichia coli 0157:H7, and cattle, a review after 10 years," Callaway, T.R., et. al.. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 6:67-80. http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=230661
12. Jack Guzewich, Senior Advisor, Environmental Health, FDA. Personal email, Nov. 19. 2010.
13. Make Our Food Safe. The PEW Health Group and the American Academy of Pediatrics. www.makeourfoodsafe.org.