Melinda Hemmelgarn, M.S., R.D.
1. Beyond Pesticides annual meeting, Health and Science Panel, Cleveland, OH. April 10, 2010. http://www.beyondpesticides.org/forum/index.htm.
2. Adigun, A.A., et al., "Neonatal Organophosphate Pesticide Exposure Alters the Developmental Trajectory of Cell-Signaling Cascades Controlling Metabolism: Differential Effects of Diazinon and Parathion," Environmental Health Perspectives, Vol. 118, No. 2, pages 210-215, February 2010.
3. Swan, S.H., et. al. "Semen Quality of Fertile U.S. Males in Relation to their Mothers' Beef Consumption During Pregnancy." Human Reproduction, 2007; 22(6):1497-1502.
4. Healing Foods Pyramid, University of Michigan.
6. "That First Step-- Organic Food and a Healthier Future," A Critical Issue Report, Christine McCullum-Gomez, Ph.D., R.D, Charles Benbrook, Ph.D., and Richard Theuer, Ph.D. March 2009. www.organic-center.org/science.healthy.php?action=view&report_id=149
7. "Scientists warn of toxic risk to fetuses: Experts call for new regulations to control common chemicals," Los Angeles Times, May 27, 2007. http://articles.latimes.com/2007/may/25/nation/na-fetuses25
8. Huen, K, et al. "Developmental Changes in PON1 Enzyme Activity in Young Children and Effects of PON1 Polymorphisms," Environmental Health Perspectives, July 2009.
9. Lu, C. et al. "Organic Diets Significantly Lower Children's Dietary Exposure to Organophosphorus Pesticides," Environmental Health Perspectives, Vol. 114, No. 2, February 2006. http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/8418/8418.html
10. Lairon, D. "Nutritional quality and safety of organic food. A review," Agronomy for Sustainable Development, July, 2009. http://www.agronomy-journal.org/index.php?option=article&access=doi&doi=10.1051/agro/2009019
11. "Questions and Answers about the WIC Food Packages." USDA. http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefitsandservices/foodpkgquestions.htm
12. Personal communication with Tae Chong, Public Policy Nutritionist, National WIC Association. April 14, 2010.
13. Environmental Health Criteria 237: Principles for Evaluating Health Risks in Children Associated with Exposure to Chemicals. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2006/924157237X_eng.pdf
14. "Schooling of State Pesticide Laws: 2010 Update,"Pesticides and You. Volume 29, No. 3. Fall 2009. Beyond Pesticides. www.beyondpesticides.org
Six ways that organic food and farming can contribute to reversing current trends in overweight, obesity, and diabetes. A Critical Issues Report from The Organic Center.