Directions for tart dough:
1. Butter a 10-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom; line with parchment paper.
2. In bowl of electric mixer (or with hand mixer) beat together butter and sugar until creamy and light in color.
3. Crack the egg into a small bowl; whisk well.
4. Measure out 1-1/2 tablespoons egg. Add to butter mixture; beating well. (Discard remaining egg or reserve for another use.)
5. Combine flour, optional spice and salt. Add to butter mixture and beat at low speed until well blended.
6. Form dough into a flattened ball; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
7. Remove dough from refrigerator 15 minutes before rolling out on lightly floured pastry cloth or wooden board to 11-inches in diameter (about ¼-inch thick).
8. Transfer dough to prepared tart pan. Press into bottom and up sides of pan. Do not worry if there are cracks; simply press the dough back together. Trim off any dough that is more than ¼-inch above rim of pan (dough will shrink slightly upon baking.) Place in freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
9. Heat oven to 350oF. Bake tart dough 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
Directions for ganache:
1. Finely chop chocolate; place in a heat proof bowl.
2. Bring cream just to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour cream over chocolate; let stand 1 minute.
3. Starting in the center, stir in a slow circular motion in the same direction until the chocolate and cream are incorporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour into the center of the baked tart shell. Let stand until cooled and set, about 2 hours. Tart may be chilled to set ganache sooner or for serving the following day. Let stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
5. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or Sea Salt Caramel Sauce.
Let stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or Sea Salt Caramel Sauce. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe Created by Regional Chef Stacie Pierce of Little Bee Baking, San Francisco, CA. © Organic Valley