This Cauliflower Gratin dish created by Great Performances Chef Mathew Riznyk stole the show at the Edible Escape New York City tasting event. Loaded with delicious Organic Valley ingredients, New Yorkers couldn’t stop at just one plate. Guaranteed to be the “best bite” of the night, be sure to make extra as your friends and family will line up for seconds and thirds.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes until tender but still firm, then drain. Place on a sheet pan and dry in the oven for 2 minutes or until moisture is removed from the surface.
2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tabelspoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and nutmeg, and 1/2 cup of cheddar and parmesan.
3. Pour 1/3 of the sauce onto the bottom of an 8x11x2 inch baking dish. Place the cauliflower on the bed of sauce, then spread rest of sauce evenly over the cauliflower
4. Combine bread crumbs with remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar and sprinkle on top. Melt remaining 2 tabelspoons butter and drizzle over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is browned.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
copyright by Chef Matthew Riznyk of Great Performances