1. Heat oven to 350oF.
2. For topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a 10x2-inch or 9x3-inch round cake pan. Place pan on range burner over low heat. Stir until butter is melted and combined with the sugar. Remove from heat; arrange cranberries over butter mixture in a single layer and set aside.
3. For cake, in bowl of electric mixer (or with hand mixer) beat together butter and sugar until creamy and light in color, about 3 minutes.
4. Separate eggs, placing whites in bowl of electric mixer.
5. Beat egg yolks into butter mixture.
6. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, mixing well. Add dry ingredients alternating with the milk-vanilla mixture in three additions, starting with dry and ending with milk.
7. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks; fold into batter.
8. Spread batter evenly over cranberries.
9. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer cake to wire cooling rack; let stand 5 minutes.
10. Run a knife or thin spatula around edges of cake. Turn out onto a large plate. (If any cranberries stick to pan, spoon back onto cake.) Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Created by Regional Chef Stacie Pierce of Little Bee Baking, San Francisco, CA. © Organic Valley