Want to serve something special, but you don’t want to break the bank? A little smoked salmon will go a long way when you combine it with the “mother sauce” known as béchamel and spike it with colorful green onions.
1. Bring milk and half-and-half to a simmer in a small saucepan.
2. Make the roux: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour until the mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Let it cool off for about 30 seconds.
3. Whisk in the hot cream mixture and bring to simmer, stirring often. Continue to cook for at least 10 minutes.
4. Stir in green onions, hard-cooked eggs and smoked salmon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve over split, toasted English muffins.
Copyright by Terese Allen