This creamy, hearty soup is a warm welcome on a crisp early spring day. For a dairy-rich version of this recipe, substitute Organic Valley Butter for the oil, and Organic Valley Half & Half for the soy creamer.
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium flame. Add leeks and parsnips. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks begin to wilt, about 5 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add wild rice, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, cover and cook over low heat until wild rice is tender, 40-50 minutes. Stir in parsley during the last 10 or 15 minutes of the cooking time.
4. Add soy creamer. Bring to simmer. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
5. Serve the soup right away, or let it develop more flavor by letting it cool down. Reheat before serving.
Copyright by Terese Allen