1. Combine eggnog, milk, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, salt and vanilla in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until temperature of mixture reaches 160oF, 18 to 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place water in a small bowl; sprinkle gelatin over water. Let stand at least 5 minutes.
3. Remove eggnog mixture from heat; cool to 120oF, about 18 minutes longer.
4. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Let stand until cooled to 90oF., 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Taste mixture; add remaining 1 tablespoon sugar if needed, stirring until dissolved. Strain mixture.
6. Pour strained mixture into six, 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups that are lightly oiled with grapeseed or canola oil. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
7. To unmold, run a knife around the edge of the ramekin; turn over onto serving plate. Sprinkle nutmeg over panna cotta if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Chef Stacie Pierce of Little Bee Baking, San Francisco, CA