Gluten-Free Potato Gruyere Gratin
- Prep time
- 20 mins
- Total Time
- 1 hr & 20 mins
click to rate
- 8 to 10
There are recipes for making similar potato dishes that require a thickening, flour-based roux. This version, enriched with heavy cream and topped with a light crust of gluten-free buttered crumbs, is just as delicious!
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter the bottom and sides of a 13” x 9” baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the heavy cream, milk, sea salt and pepper. Over medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Add the potato slices and cook for 2-3 minutes; stir occasionally. When the mixture has thickened slightly, remove it from the heat.
- Layer half of the potato mixture in the prepared pan and strew with half of the grated Gruyere. Add the remaining potatoes and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake gratin for 45 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking stir together the bread crumbs (or crisped rice cereal crumbs) with the melted butter. Pull the gratin from the oven. Top evenly with the buttered crumbs and resume baking for another 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the topping is golden brown.
contributed by Valorie Schaefer