Bloom Bake Shop's Gluten-Free Pumpkin Eggnog Cupcakes
- Prep time
- 20 mins
- Total Time
- 40 mins
click to rate
Bloom Bake Shop in Middleton, Wisconsin, is an oasis for people adhering to a gluten-free diet. Each morning Annemarie Spitznagle and her team of baking wizards whip up a seasonal selection of irresistible baked goodies using fresh, organic, gluten-free ingredients that are every bit as moist, delectable—and addictive—as their wheat flour counterparts. “We love helping dispel the belief that gluten-free is a lesser choice,” says Annemarie. “Gluten-free items constitute about 30% of our bakery case and that number continues to grow each month.” This recipe stars Organic Valley Eggnog, a holiday season-only treat that’s well worth the wait!
- For the muffins:
- 3⁄4 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour (Bob's Red Mill recommended)
- 3⁄4 cup potato starch
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 pound Organic Valley Unsalted Cultured Butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated cane juice
- 2 Organic Valley Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄4 cups Organic Valley Eggnog
- For the spiced buttercream:
- 2 sticks Organic Valley Unsalted Cultured Butter, room temperature
- 3 - 4 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 - 4 tablespoons Organic Valley Eggnog
Prepare the muffins:
Preheat oven to 350. Line two standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, being careful not to over-beat the eggs.
- Add pumpkin puree and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with eggnog, and ending with dry.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Prepare the butter cream frosting:
- Sift powdered sugar; set aside.
- Cream butter until soft and smooth.
- Add three cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time. The mixture should be very dry; add fourth cup if needed.
- Add vanilla and eggnog, and beat until smooth and stiff enough to frost your cupcakes (add more eggnog to achieve desired consistency).
- Flavor with nutmeg and cinnamon.
Bloom Bake Shop, Middleton, WI