Gluten-Free Bacon and Cheddar Scones
- Prep time
- 35 mins
- Total Time
- 1 hr
click to rate
- 16 mini scones
A great savory (and salty!) alternative to biscuits or dinner rolls! Serving the warm scones with a swipe of Organic Valley butter would be gilding the lily, but is that so wrong?
- Fry the bacon over medium high heat. When brown and very crisp, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. When well drained, chop bacon into small bits and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Place the dry ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the butter to the work bowl and pulse until the butter is incorporated and the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in bacon bits, grated cheese, scallions, and thyme. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and cream.
- Add the buttermilk and cream to the dry ingredients and stir until a soft (slightly crumbly) dough forms.
- Dump the dough out on to a surface dusted with white rice flour. Divide the dough in half and pat the dough into a round about 1-1/2 inches thick.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each dough disc into eight equal pie-wedges for a total of 16 mini scones. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush the scones with the egg wash.
- Bake scones until lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
contributed by Valorie Schaefer