Brown sugar gives this dessert its butterscotch-y decadence. Organic Valley’s hazelnut half & half lends toastiness and a lush velvet texture. The whipped cream that goes on top is unsweetened, but you can add a little brown sugar as it whips, if so desired.
1. Place the half &half in a saucepan over a medium-low flame. Heat the cream until it is hot, but do not let it boil.
2. Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks, dark brown sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
3. Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture until smooth. Whisk this mixture into the remaining hot cream in the saucepan. Keep whisking at a slow, steady pace until mixture simmers and thickens to a thick-sauce consistency, about 5-7 minutes. (Don’t let it simmer for more than 1 minute or so.)
4. Divide the mixture into 4 to 6 dessert cups. Chill them at least 3 hours. The puddings will thicken further as they chill.
5. Use a chilled bowl and beaters to whip the cream until firm peaks form.
6. Top each serving with whipped cream and a sprinkling of nuts.
Copyright by Terese Allen