*A 2008 Celebrate Organic Holiday Recipe Contest Winner!*
Submitted by Kathleen Bush, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Says Kathleen, "This pie sustained me throughout my healthy vegetarian pregnancy. It was a relatively easy one-dish meal that covered all of the food groups and made me feel that I was nurturing my growing baby. I love tapping into that nurturing-mother feeling when I make this pie for my friends and family now. Many great get-togethers, dinner conversations, and happy memories have since been nurtured by this pie!"
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch glass pie plate with vegetable oil or butter.
2. Toast the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium-low heat until the smaller seeds start popping and the larger seeds are golden-brown.
3. In a large bowl, combine toasted seeds, cooked rice, pumpkin seed butter, and flour. Press mixture into pie plate to form a crust. Pre-bake the crust for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees.
4. Place the cooked spinach over the crust. Then layer the cooked carrots, other root vegetables, and onions on top of the spinach layer.
5. Combine the feta (or ricotta) and beaten eggs, and pour the mixture over the vegetables in the pie.
6. Sprinkle the pie with Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.
Submitted by Kathleen Bush for Celebrate Organic Recipe Contest 2008