“I’m not much of an artist in the traditional sense," says Lisa Kivirist, the contributor of this recipe. "Give me a piece of paper and pencil and I might choke out a few stick figure drawings for you, But give me a chunk of cheddar, some beer, fresh veggies and other local ingredients, and I transform into the artistic ninja of my kitchen.” Taste her wonderful beer cheese soup and you might be transformed yourself!
Lisa is co-author of ECOpreneuring, Rural Renaissance, and Farmstead Chef with her husband, John Ivanko. She and her family run Inn Serendipity, a farm and bed-and-breakfast outside Monroe, Wisconsin that is completely powered by renewable energy, and Lisa notes, features Organic Valley products.
1. Heat butter in a large pot over medium flame. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
2. Add broccoli and carrots. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in flour, making sure vegetables are coated.
4. Stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Stir in beer, Worcestershire sauce and 3 1/2 cups of the milk. Reduce heat to low, simmer 10 minutes.
6. Add maple syrup, mustard, salt and sausage. Cook 5 minutes longer.
7. Slowly add cheese by the handful, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and soup begins to bubble. If the soup is too thick, add more milk at this point.
Hi Pheobe, Mary and Julie,
I confirmed with Lisa, the author, and 2 cups of flour is correct. She says: "It is a thick and hearty soup. You can add more milk for a thinner consistency." I hope this helps!
This is from Lisa Kivirist, the recipe author:
"The soup makes about 12 servings. I've honestly never made a half batch (we always seem to eat it - -smile), but I don't see why that wouldn't work. One thing you don't want to do with this soup is freeze it. With the milk base, it doesn't freeze well."
Hi Carol, Thanks for the catch! I have added the quantities above. It's 5 cups shredded Organic Valley Cheddar Cheese, so you can either shred one of our cheddar blocks (I like the Sharp and Raw Sharp) or use our handy pre-shredded packs.