- Prep time
- Total Time
click to rate
Move over, pumpkin pie! This is the dessert to bring to your next holiday gathering. Multilayered, buttery-good and lively with cinnamon spice, it comes from Beverley Thurber of Vermont, member of an Organic Valley farm family.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup of the sugar and melted butter in a bowl. Stir to combine. Press the crumb mixture evenly in the bottom of a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Combine 3/4 cup of the sugar and cream cheese in a bowl. Beat until the mixture is smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Spread this custard mixture over the crust. Bake until the custard is set, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool.
- To make the pumpkin filling: Combine pumpkin, egg yolks, milk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt and cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the cold water in a small bowl. Stir the gelatin mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Spread this over the cooled crust. Cool off the torte to room temperature, then chill it thoroughly.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on each serving.
Courtesy of Beverly Thurber