The leftovers of this layered cheese specialty make a great sandwich spread. (Not that there will be any leftovers!)
1. Combine cherry tomatoes, olive oil and boiling water in a blender or food processor. Puree until as smooth as possible.
2. Combine cream cheese, goat cheese and 1 tablespoon milk or cream in a bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, adding an additional tablespoon of milk or cream if needed to make the mixture smooth and pliable.
3. Lay two large pieces of plastic wrap in a small, round ceramic dish so that some of the wrap overlaps the sides of the dish. Divide the cheese mixture into 3 even portions. Using your fingers, shape 1 portion of the cheese to fit the bottom of the dish. Lay the portion in the dish and spread it out evenly to reach the sides of the dish. Use a spoon to spread tomato puree over cheese, but donít go all the way to the sides of the dish. Add another layer of cheese over the tomatoes, spreading it out to reach the sides of the dish. Use a spoon to spread pesto over cheese, but donít go all the way to the sides. Top with the final portion of cheese over pesto, all the way out to the sides. You will have five layers total.
4. Fold the overlapping edges of the plastic wrap over the top of the torta. Chill thoroughly.
5. To serve, unfold the plastic wrap and turn the torta out onto a platter. Pull off the plastic wrap. Surround the torta with crackers or crostini.
For a gluten free version, serve with gluten free crackers or chips.
Copyright by Terese Allen