Recipe contributor Beverley Thurber is the matriarch of an Organic Valley family in Windham County, Vermont where the farm, she says, is “a partnership with the whole family.” The short list of her responsibilities includes: “Financial work—I’m the paper shuffler on the team; tending the chickens; packing the eggs driving the shuttle bus, and baking for the farm stand.” Last but not least, she adds, “I do a lot of picking up of grandchildren!"
"This is a dish I have made during our maple sugaring season, when I have needed to carry a meal to the sugarhouse."
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium flame. Add the ground meat, onions and green peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is no longer pink.
2. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the flour and the Italian seasoning. Stir it over the heat for a couple of minutes, then stir in the tomato sauce. Cook the sauce until heated thoroughly.
3. Transfer the mixture to an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the top.
4. Place the remaining 1cup flour in a mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, milk and salt until smooth; stir in the Parmesan. Pour this batter over the casserole.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.