The first and only organic ultra-filtered milk is here!
There hasn’t been a whole lot of innovation in dairy since the development of pasteurization in 1864 or vitamin D fortification in the 1930s. Maybe you could count chocolate milk as an innovation (which we most assuredly do), but even that has been enjoyed since the 18th century in some form or another.
But now there’s finally something new in dairy that truly makes milk better: Ultra-filtered milk that’s also organic. Introducing Organic Valley Ultra-Filtered Milk!
What in the world is ultra-filtered milk?
Ultra-filtration is a super cool technology that’s been around since the 1970s but which really took off recently thanks to innovations in the membranes used to filter the milk. In fact, we’ve used ultra-filtration for our Organic Fuel milk protein shakes for years. And we absolutely love what it does for our already delicious organic milk.
Here’s how it works:
- It all starts with our certified organic pasture-raised milk from cows that spend their days strolling open pastures, munching green grasses or hay, and contentedly lazing around.
- Once the milk gets to the processing plant, the fat is separated from the skim milk.
- Then the skim is ultra-filtered through a superfine membrane. This removes more than half of the water and naturally occurring sugar (lactose). Less H2O and lactose means the protein and calcium are now in higher concentrations in the milk.
- The lactase enzyme is added to convert the remaining lactose into simple sugars, making the ultra-filtered milk lactose-free.
- Then we add fat back to the skim to get 1%, 2% or Whole milk.
All this results in milk that has 50% more protein, 45% more calcium, and 50% less sugar per serving than regular milk, and is lactose-free.
Hold up...More protein and calcium? Where does it come from?
It’s already in the milk! Ultra-filtration doesn’t add a thing. Skim milk is made up of 90% water. The rest is nutrients like protein, calcium, lactose (naturally occurring sugar) and vitamins. Ultra-filtration simply removes some of the water and sugar, which concentrates the nutrients.
Try this: Imagine a glass with a couple layers of tiny marbles in the bottom -- those are the nutrients. Then fill the glass with water -- that’s the water in the milk (obviously). The marble-nutrients make up around 10% of the glass’s contents.
Now dump out a little over half of the water and a few of the marbles, leaving the rest in the glass. With less water and sugar, the marble-nutrients now make up around 15% of the glass’s contents.
It works the same in ultrafiltered milk. Removing water and some lactose and leaving the other nutrients increases their concentration. It may not seem like much, but it’s a pretty big deal when it comes to nutrition per glass.
Milk Isn’t Just for the Kids Anymore
New Organic Valley Ultra really is great for all sorts of people.
- Want a higher-protein, lower-sugar milk for your kids’ morning cereal to give them a good start for back to school? Check.
- Are you someone who needs extra calcium in your diet? Check.
- Looking for a post-workout recovery drink that doesn’t involve weird chalky powders? Check. (It comes in chocolate, too!)
- Concentrated nutrition plus lactose-free plus certified organic? Triple check.
A milk that checks so many boxes deserves space in anyone’s fridge.
To Sum Up...
More protein, more calcium, lower sugar, no lactose, certified organic, plus a fab silky taste?
Yep, you got it.
There’s not much more to say. Oh, except that Ultra also comes in chocolate -- trust us, try the chocolate.
Organic Valley Ultra packs a lot into a glass, and we think it’s simply awesome.
Where To Get It
Organic Valley Ultra is now available at select stores nationwide. Find a location near you.