Organic Milk Buying Guide
When it comes to organic milk, you have options galore—type of pasteurization, low-sugar milk, high-protein milk, grass-fed milk, numerous organic milk brands, and on and on… Which also means it can be hard to choose.
Well, we’re here to help you avoid milk decision fatigue!
Take a peek at our buying guide to learn more about what we offer and see which Organic Valley milk is the right choice for you and your family.
Across the Board
First, all USDA Certified Organic milks ensure no toxic pesticides, synthetic hormones, antibiotics or GMOs. These are simply not allowed in any certified organic food. Period.
But beyond the USDA Organic baseline, there are other values that matter quite a lot, and that’s where Organic Valley milks shine.
Here’s what we promise about all our organic milk, no matter the type, size or flavor:
- Always organic. No conflicts of interest here—organic is all we do!
- Happy, humanely raised cows. Our bovine friends get to spend plenty of time outside eating green pasture and socializing.
- Quality tested every step from the farm to you. 57—yes, fifty-seven—quality checks ensure your milk arrives tasting fresh and is exactly what you expect.
- Our farm families are paid a great price for their milk. Since Organic Valley is owned by farmers, they set a fair and stable pay price for their own milk, which allows them to plan for the future, give great care to their animals, protect the environment, and keep doing other great things on their farms.
With these qualities covered, check out the options below to find the best organic milk for you.
Pasture-Raised White Milk
Organic Valley Pasture-Raised Milks are what put us on the map. The quality and taste are consistent coast-to-coast, and you can find them pretty much everywhere, from big box stores to small local food co-ops. These are your everyday go-to white milks.
They also give you plenty of options. Our pasture-raised milks come in whole, 2% reduced fat, 1% lowfat, and nonfat—and all of these are available in pasteurized and ultra-pasteurized too. (Pasteurization: What’s the difference?) There are gallons, half gallons, quarts, and even single-serving sizes perfect for quick-grabs and lunchboxes.
- First-time organic milk drinkers
- Busy families who care about quality but also want to get in and out of the grocery store quickly
- Everyone! It’s our go-to choice
All of our milks come from cows that eat a lot of pasture grass, but Organic Valley Grassmilk® comes from cows that eat 100% grass and dried forages—no grains—just as nature intended. This high-pasture diet means Grassmilk® has higher levels of some fatty acids, like omega-3 and CLA—more than 100% more of each, according to one study!
Grassmilk® also has a slightly different flavor from our regular milks, thanks to the huge quantities of grass the cows eat. In summertime, when they’re outside eating more fresh, green pasture, Grassmilk® can take on a very slight herbal flavor, and it can have a light golden hue. In the winter, when cows are eating more dried forages, Grassmilk® often has a more classic taste and color. These seasonal variations may be very slight (some people don’t even notice them), but it’s one thing we love about our Grassmilk®.
- People looking for 100% grass-fed milk
- Those who want to get more omega-3 from food
- If you like more complex flavors that come from grass-feeding
- Those who care about animal welfare and holistic health
Organic Valley Fortified Milk is milk with more milk in it! How is that possible? In short, we add Organic Valley Nonfat Dry Milk Powder to our own organic milk. This boosts the protein to 10 grams for skim and 11 grams for 1%, and increases the calcium per serving from 25% to 30% DV for both. (Here’s more about Organic Valley Fortified Milk.)
Our fortified milk comes in ultra-pasteurized lowfat 1% and skim half-gallons. And as a bonus, the addition of dried milk to the fluid milk makes our fortified milk taste wonderfully creamy, almost like 2% or whole milk without the fat!
- People looking for more protein and calcium in their lowfat or fat free milk
- Those who want the added nutrition from real milk, not from added vitamins
- If you want lowfat and fat free milk with the creaminess of 2% or whole
Organic Valley Lactose-free Milk is a staple for those with lactose intolerance. It’s made using the tried and true method of adding the lactase enzyme to convert lactose into simple, digestible sugars. We also test the milk to verify that it’s truly lactose-free. You get all the nutrition of real milk from organic, pasture-raised cows, without the belly trouble!
Our organic lactose-free milk is available just about everywhere in whole, 2% reduced fat, 1% lowfat, and skim half-gallons and quarts. Now you can enjoy milk again! (Cookies optional, but encouraged.)
- Lactose intolerance
- Anyone who wants the nutrition and protein you get from real milk, which you can’t get from nut milks
We may be biased, but we think our chocolate milk is the best in the world! Who wouldn’t love the highest quality milk expertly blended with fair trade sugar and rich chocolate?
Organic Valley 1% Chocolate Milk has great chocolate flavor, 8 grams of protein, and is even lactose-free, so it’s easy on sensitive stomachs—great for adults and kids alike! We also offer regular 1% chocolate milk in shelf-stable, single-serving packages for kids’ lunch boxes or after school/pre-practice snacks. Learn more about the convenience of shelf-stable milk here!
- Chocolate lovers!
- Picky eaters who still want nutrition from organic milk
- A wholesome sweet snack
- organic & sustainable living,